At the same time, two weeks ago was our Peace Train Class Graduation. I was so proud of my students, I almost cried ... but instead spent most of the day laughing and smiling so hard it hurt.
It began a little stressful (only three of our kids were there), but ended beautifully. Everyone came but the three that were preparing for their first communion in church the next day. We began marching into the chapel singing "Caminamos en la Paz de Dios" ("We are marching in the Peace of God") which is the song we sing as we swithc stations every day in class. Then we went down the line and each shared "what gives us peace" and "what takes away our peace" and led the parents in our Peace Pledge. The Helpers explained their experience with the class and said they wanted to continue as helpers in the next cycle.

We sang the songs we had learned together (some of the mother's teared up at this point, evidently having heard nearly all of the songs sung at home over the past few months)

gave a little talent show,

and finally presented "Peace Maker" Diplomas to each of our students.

Peggy had Diplomas and thank yous for Ariel and I, and said, among other things, that the Peace Train Class "is the heart of Centro Arte."

When she was done talking, one of the Dads stood up, wanting to thank us. He talked about how much his daughter loved the class and Ariel and I. He talked about how much he trusted us and was grateful for the opportunity we were giving his daughter. Before the graduation, he recommended we give our class in the schools.

It was a beautiful, bittersweet morning. I was bursting -- immensely proud of all we had done together, and sad to say good bye to these students.
Ariel and I spent an entire day last week revamping our syllabus -- tweaking the things that needed to be, and adding some more art projects and English lessons and reformatting the sheet as we begin the work to publish our curriculum. And yesterday, the next cycle of the Peace Train Class began. It was a miracle morning -- the day before only 3 students had signed up. At 9 o'clock, one of the woman from the office took our class list and added 4 more. Decent with 7 students at least. At 2:10, we had 11 students (3 who had signed up and 8 others!), our 2 helpers, 2 mothers, and 2 guests visiting. It was the biggest opening circle we have ever had and felt more than anything like a gift from God. I had been so scared there wouldn't be enough students to actually give the class again, and instead the room was overflowing. And one of our students was in the class last cycle, and even though we are doing nearly the same thing, she wanted to come again.
Hello, Hello! I don't know why you say Good Bye, I say Hello!
Lovely dear. I'm so proud of you! The "heart of Centro Arte"!!
ReplyDeleteAh, I'm so glad to hear that there are a bunch of new artesanos de la paz! Fantastic. I'm also so grateful that I got to be at the graduation for the first cycle. Love to you two as you wrap up your time teaching together.
ReplyDelete