21 January 2009

Hola de San Salvador

Hello!

I´m here, I exist. I only have about 5 minutes before lunch but so much has happened I at least wanted to share a little bit. I arrive a little after 10 Sunday night and went to Casa Romero (There are 3 houses, Casa Romero is the biggest and pretty much where we all hang out, then Casa Silvia which is right across the street, and finally right down the street is Casa Ita, the smallest, where I live). So I went to Casa Romero and met everyone at once...que loco! I walked in and every one said Hi Christy and started clapping... un poco awkward. But nice. Turns out that the 4 days before I got there, just about everything they did the codirector Trena would remind them that they were building community but the whole community wasn´t there yet )namely me!) My house mtes told me that everything that went wrong at Casa Ita was my fault---such as toilets overflowing, lights being left on! So I was here before I was here!

Monday we visted three field placements sites. Wow. The first was San Ramon which has two parts, in the morning they´ll be working at a school/child development program and in the afternoon with a Christian Base community. This community is fantastic! Makes me think of my community psych class and IV so much. Gustavo was one of the people who talked with us about this church and one of the things he siad was to the effect of "we can´t just be christians inside our church. we have to be christians outside of our church" So they have small groups for married couples, single mothers, youths, and visit many people who are not part of there church. crazy cool. kevin, who is part of the youth smll group, says Gustavo is a modern day Jesus. Amazing. Inspiring.

Las Nubes is a community on the side of a volcano which the Christian Base Community. Ah... time to go to lunch so more to come!

Besos,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment